Cardstock paper is a type of paper that is thicker and more durable than regular printer paper. It is often used for making greeting cards, invitations, and other paper crafts. Cardstock paper comes in a variety of colors, textures, and weights.
There are a variety of cardstock papers available on the market, each with its own unique set of properties. The most common types of cardstock papers are:
- Bristol Board: A heavyweight paper that is smooth on both sides, Bristol board is ideal for creating sharp and detailed illustrations. It is also commonly used for printmaking, as it can withstand a high amount of ink coverage without bleeding.
Bristol board is a type of paperboard that is typically used for drawing, painting, and other mediums that require a smooth surface. It is made from two sheets of paper that are glued together with a thin layer of craft paper in between. The craft paper gives the Bristol board its strength and rigidity, while the smooth surface of the paper is ideal for drawing and painting.
- Watercolor Paper: A favorite among painters, watercolor paper is specifically designed to hold up to wet media without warping or buckling. It is available in a variety of weights and textures, depending on the desired effect.
Watercolor paper is designed to be used with water-based media, such as watercolors, inks, and dyes. It is generally made from cellulose, cotton, or a blend of the two. Cellulose-based watercolor paper is usually less expensive than cotton-based paper, but it is also less durable and tends to warp more easily when wet. Cotton-based paper is more expensive, but it is also more durable and resistant to warping. Watercolor paper is typically sold in sheets or blocks, and it is available in a variety of sizes and weights.
- Mixed Media Paper: Mixed media paper is a type of paper that can be used with both wet and dry media. It is usually a bit heavier than regular drawing or printing paper, and has a slightly textured surface that helps to hold the pigment and medium in place. Mixed media paper can be found in a variety of sizes and weights, and is often used by artists who work in both traditional and digital mediums.
A versatile paper that can be used for a variety of mediums, mixed media paper is available in a variety of weights and textures. It is often used for collages or other artworks that incorporate multiple mediums.
- Drawing Paper: A lighter weight paper that is smooth on both sides, drawing paper is ideal for sketching and other dry media.
Drawing paper is a type of paper specially designed for use in art and drawing. It is typically made of a smooth, slightly textured surface that is ideal for pencils, charcoal, and other dry media. Drawing paper is usually sold in pads or reams and is available in a variety of sizes and weights.
- Calligraphy Paper: A smooth, heavyweight paper that is designed for use with calligraphy pens or other wet media. It is available in a variety of sizes and weights, depending on the desired effect.
Calligraphy paper is a type of paper that is designed specifically for calligraphy. It is usually made from a smooth, durable paper that is easy to write on. Calligraphy paper often has a special coating that helps the ink to flow smoothly across the surface of the paper. This makes it easier to create beautiful, flowing letters. Calligraphy paper is often sold in special pads or books that are designed for calligraphy. These pads or books often have tracing paper included so that you can practice your calligraphy before trying it on your own.
The 12×12 Cardstock Shop is the best place to buy cardstock papers. They offer a wide variety of colors, textures, and weights to choose from. The papers are also acid-free and lignin-free, so they won’t yellow or fade over time.